Thursday, March 04, 2004

Status syndrome


In modern society kids in school are taught that they can aspire to anything. That their potential is limitless.
Especially so in the States but more and more over here in the UK.
The result is, if someone does not become a company director or high flying lawyer or suchlike then they see themselves as a failure, as unfulfilled.

To be normal is to be a failure.

I was brought up in just that kind of atmosphere. I was brought up to think that I had unlimited potential irrespective of my real ability in the hope it would spur me to better things.
My two brothers are both in prestige careers; I just do a job for a wage to live, and I sometimes feel just like that. As if I have somehow failed, even though I am happily married, we have lots of possessions, house, cars, caravan etc and yet I compare myself with my brothers and feel a failure.

At least I know I am normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home