Tuesday, March 02, 2004

oops crunch!! Boing....

On a roundabout on the way to work this morning the lights changed and we started to pull off. The car in front of the car in front of me, if you see what I mean, suddenly decided that didn’t know if to go on the motorway or to carry on round the roundabout. It took the Mercedes in front of me a second to decide to brake, so he hammers his brakes and his ABS cuts in. I am still in the process of accelerating when I realise what is happening and I break very hard and my car decides to skid on the unsalted semi-frozen road. It feels as though the car is accelerating. Pound signs are flashing before my eyes before we even touch !!!I slide into the back end of the Merc and we bounce off each other like bumper cars. As the cars separate I am expecting to see the back of his car all squished and mangled. To my surprise there is no apparent damage.
We pull to one side and he gets out. He rubs the film of dirt off, and minutely inspects his back bumper. There is a tiny little vertical crease in the plastic, it could even be part of the way it is built. He was very concerned about damage inside the bumper, maybe something that he couldn’t see. There was no damage to my little Fiesta. After a bit of um’ing and ahh’ing he decided not to bother and off we toddled.

I was surprised just how quickly the whole thing happened. We can’t have been travelling at more that 20 mph when the accident took place !!

Well all I can say is hooray for plastic bumpers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home