Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Tuesday….3 days to the weekend

Over the past few years I have has a lot of problems with my teeth.
I had been going to the same dental practice for the last twenty years, and the same dentist for about the last ten.
Over that ten years my teeth seemed to just get worse and worse. I was having regular six monthly check-ups, but latterly it was rare to go six months without having toothache or a broken tooth and requiring some attention. Fortunately my treatment was on the NHS and the cost was minimal. Quite often Richard my dentist (we were now on first name terms) would waive any charges.
When I asked him why my teeth were so sensitive he would just shrug and say it was due to my hard bite, I had worn the enamel on my teeth down. When I asked what could be done he would dodge answering. He was good at that.
As time went on my teeth started to break more and more. I would be eating and suddenly crack – there goes another broken tooth.
The situation seem to be getting worse with no end in sight.
Then came the turning point.
I went for my 6 monthly check up and boy was I surprised when I arrived. The whole place had been well and truly modernised. It was all high tech, white gleaming with plasma screens in the ceiling etc. Richard had retired and sold out. The new guy had dragged the practice into the twenty first century.
As I walked into the consulting room he shook me warmly by the wallet. I had my check up, done with much tutting and muttering . Well to tell the truth roger, your teeth require a lot of work . You really need the work done privately as some of the procedures are not done under the NHS – it’s a pretty basic service on the NHS. Then came the computerised itemised statement of work required. I received two quotes, one for the basic NHS work and one for all the required work done privately. Both bills ran into four figures!!
I sort of wandered off in a state of shock.

To be continued …….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home